This post is the fifth of a six-part series detailing the assembly of a collaborative book between myself and my friend Chelsea,Â a talented illustrator as well asÂ print and fiber artistÂ (start at Part 1 here)! If you want to make sure you catch all the steps, you can subscribe via email, or RSS feed. (or just keep checking back, I’ll have a new step every other day)
Photo 1:Â Here’s the cover after I put it under the press, wrapped in waxed paper, for a few hours. The vertical lines are part of the paper and are thin pieces of grass or reed, incorporated as the paper was made. I thought it provided a nice contrast to the crazy organic shapes of the lichen.
Photo 2:Â First I applied glue to the back of the lichen, and then carefully set it down where I wanted. I used tweezers and additional glue on a small brush to adhered lichen fronds that weren’t stuck down properly, or to reposition the bronze tissue paper which was easily wrinkled and folded because it was so thin.
Photo 3:Â Slightly out of order photo – Â here are the lichens the way I laid them out before I glued them – I played around with a few different arrangements until I settled on the one I liked best. You can also spot Meowstro here keeping a close eye on things.