I practiced a little journal up-cycling while creating something for my friend Ian. The original journal was plain, pink covers with the word “Journal” stamped in gold type on the front cover. The pages were lined which was a plus, and it had never been used. I gave it a new cover and fancy new endpapers and sewed on some headbands for a little touch of class. The final touch will be a cover decoration featuring a fire-breathing dragon, a step I haven’t gotten to yet!
This journal needs a new look!
The inside of the journal pre-makeover
First you cut the endpapers
here’s the text block released from one side of the cover
I hand-stitched new endbands
the new endpaper
pasting down the covers with PVA
one cover fully pasted down – the white paper is from the old endpages
Finished book with endpapers
finished book – I added a matching bookmark over the endbands